The AWS® Certified Welder program is a performance-based program with no prerequisite certifications required. The Hobart Institute of Welding Technology has been accredited by the American Welding Society under QC4 to perform Qualification of Welders in accordance with AWS® QC-7 since 1989.
The AWS® Certified Welder Program was established to allow individual welders an opportunity to perform a welding skill test at an accredited testing facility and, after acceptable completion, placed on a national registry with the American Welding Society.
Your final certification provides “transferrable” credentials that you may take with you wherever you go.
To begin the process for welder certification, you should:
- Contact the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology and obtain and read a copy of the Standard AWS® QC-7 and applicable Supplement(s) that include fit-up, assembly, and positioning.
- Decide which welding test you would like to perform, since we have many procedures already established for GMAW, GTAW, and FCAW – on both plate and pipe.
- Schedule a Test Date with the Certification Lab.
- You will receive your qualification card and supply of certification maintenance forms from the AWS® Certification Dept. in four to six weeks. You must submit your certification maintenance forms every six months for your certification to remain valid.
The purpose of this standard for the AWS® Certified Welder is:
- To determine the ability of welders to deposit sound welds in accordance with the standardized requirements.
- To impose sufficient controls on the documentation and maintenance of certification to allow transfer between employers without requalification, where allowed by standard or contract document. For prices and to learn more about becoming an AWS® QC-7 Certified Welder, contact Hobart Institute at 937-332-9500 extension 9502.