Certified Welding Inspector

How much will the AWS® CWI®-CWE® course cost?

  • Please see Preparation For AWS® – CWI®/CWE® Examination
  • Hobart Institute CWI® tuition is $1600.00, payable to Hobart Institute of Welding Technology.
    The American Welding Society requires a separate examination fee. Please check the latest CWI® packet provided on our web site or check with AWS® for their current fee.

    • Code book of your choice is available from the Hobart Institute:
    • AWS® D1.1or the API 1104
    • To order, call (937) 332-9509 or order online at http://www.welding.org/c-24-welding-codes-and-specifications.aspx or purchase it on the first day of class. You will also need to bring a scientific hand calculator without metric conversions. All other books are included with your tuition.

What form of payment is required?

Hobart Institute accepts personal or corporate checks, MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and company purchase orders.

Are there any prerequisites for this course?

No. However, there are recommended pre-study courses and materials that may assist you in preparing for the AWS® CWI® examination. See the Recommended Prestudy for CWI for a list of these options.

Where is this course held?

The course is offered in Troy, Ohio. However, we can conduct the course in your facility for a minimum number of students. Call for details concerning field training. (937) 332-9500.

How much welding experience is required before I may take the Examination?

You are required to have accumulated five years of welding experience prior to applying for the AWS® CWI® Exam.

How far in advance must I register?

The American Welding Society must receive your application no less than six weeks prior to the chosen test date. Hobart Institute requires two to four weeks prior to the start date of the class. Contact the Hobart Institute for further options. Call (937) 332-9500.

How do I register for the Certified Welding Inspector course?

  • Download the CWI Application Packet.  Follow the instructions on the Checklist.

    You must be approved by the American Welding Society to take the examination at Hobart Institute.

Education and Housing Costs

What Will my Education Cost?

To assist you in determining how much the direct and indirect costs of your education will be, we have provided the following program costs page: Cost of Attendance Budget

Where can I find motels in the area of the Institute?

Information on local area motels

Where can I live while I attend school?

Housing Information


What do I need to enroll in Skill Training courses?

  1. You need to have a high school diploma or a G.E.D.
  2. You will need to complete the Skill Training Agreement/Enrollment Form and send it to the Hobart Institute with a $125.00 registration fee.

What do I need to enroll in Technical Training courses?

Technical Training Agreement/Enrollment Form

Financial Aid

Where can I obtain an application for FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid?

You may apply online at: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov or you may request a copy of the FAFSA by calling Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)

Who is eligible for a Pell grant?

In general, families showing financial need are eligible for grants, although families with higher incomes may also be eligible under special circumstance. To determine eligibility you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

Where can I learn about Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans?

Federal Direct Loans (William D. Ford)

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans are a low-interest loan designed to provide students with additional funds to assist in paying for education cost not covered by other sources of financial aid. There are two types of Direct Loans: Subsidized and Unsubsidized. To qualify, you must first complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online and be enrolled in either the Combination Structural & Pipe Welding Program One or Structural Welding Program Two. Repayment begins 6 months after graduation, leave school, or cease to be enrolled.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan

The subsidized loan is based on financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The federal government pays the interest while you are in school.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The unsubsidized loan is not based on need, which means students at any income level can qualify. Interest will accrue while in school, during your grace period, and during any authorized deferment periods.  The student has the option of paying the interest during these times.

Federal Regulations require that all students borrowing Federal Direct Loans complete entrance counseling prio to the initial disbursement of loan funds. Students will be required to do this prior to completing the loan application.

Apply now – Direct Loans

Where can I learn about Parent Plus Loans?

Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan

The Parent PLUS Loan is a federally sponsored education loan that offers a low, fixed interest rate. The Parent PLUS Loans are made to parents of students attending the institution.  Parents are solely responsible for loan repayments – not the student. The standard repayment period is ten years, but there is no penalty for early payoff. These loans typically go into repayment 60 days after full disbursement, but you may delay repayment while your student is enrolled in school; however interest will continue to accrue.

Apply now – Direct Loans

Where can I learn about HIWT Scholarships?

Student Financial Aid Opportunities

What other scholarships are available for HIWT students?

American Welding Society Foundation

Miami County (Ohio) Foundation

The Troy (Ohio) Foundation

General Welding Topics

Where may I obtain training in diving technology?

The following schools offer training in diving technology:

Divers Institute of Technology
4315  11th Ave N.W. Seattle, WA  98107-0667
1-800-634-8377 or 206-783-5542

Divers Academy of the Eastern Seaboard, Inc.
2500 S. Broadway Camden, NJ 08104
1-800-238-DIVE (3483)

The Ocean Corporation
10840 Rockley Road Houston, TX  77272-1728

Santa Barbara City College Marine Technology Program
721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109
805-965-0581 ext. 2426

Additional interesting web site:

Where may I obtain a degree in welding / metallurgical engineering?

The following schools / universities offer degree programs in Welding / Metallurgical Engineering:

The Ohio State UniversityWelding Engineering Dept.
1248 Arthur E. Adams Drive
Columbus, OH 43221
(614) 292-6841

LeTourneau University
P.O. Box 7001
Longview, TX 75607-7001
1-800-759-8811 or 903-233-3130

Ferris State University
1009 Campus Drive – J-H 200
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2280
(231) 591-2890

Colorado School of Mines
1500 Illinois Street
Golden, CO 80401
(303) 273-3000

Where may I obtain training in resistance welding?

The following location offers resistance welding training:

T.J. Snow Company, Inc.
6207 Jim Snow Way
P.O. Box 22847
Chattanooga, TN  37422
(423) 894-6234
(800) NOW-SNOW
Fax:  (423) 892-3889

Information for Non-Immigrant Alien Students

Non-immigrant alien students

The Hobart Institute of Welding Technology is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

  • Non-immigrant alien students must make proper arrangements for entering the United States through the U.S. Consulate in their own country under “Non-immigrant training” provisions.
  • Non-immigrant alien students must have sufficient funds to cover tuition, travel and living expenses.
    • All training is conducted in English. If you require an interpreter, you are responsible for all interpreter fees.
    • All payments must be made in US dollars drawn on a US bank. If payments are drawn against an International bank there will be an additional $30 fee charged to the student for processing.

Skill Training

Where are the courses held?

The courses are offered in Troy, Ohio.

What form of payment is required?

Hobart Institute accepts cash, personal or corporate checks, money orders, traveler’s checks, MasterCard, VISA, American Express, and company purchase orders.

What should I expect after I enroll?

  • The Hobart Institute will acknowledge your enrollment by email confirming your start dates and / or the dates for prerequisite testing.
  • Send an e-mail to registration@welding.org
  • Or call (937) 332-9500 with questions.

What should I send with my enrollment form?

  • The Hobart Institute requires a $125.00 registration fee before we can process your application.
  • Provide a copy of your high school diploma, transcript or G.E.D.
  • Tuition and book fees must be paid in advance by the Friday four weeks prior to the start date of your first class. An installment plan may be set up upon request.
  • Contact the Financial Aid office to make arrangements of financial assistance.
  • E-mail: registration@welding.org or call: (937) 332-9500.

When should the enrollment form be submitted?

Your enrollment form should be submitted at least 30 days prior to the date you intend to begin classes.

Where can I get an enrollment form?

Technical Training

How far in advance must I register?

  • Two to four weeks in advance of the start date is recommended to assure a reservation in the class that you wish to take.
  • Send an e-mail to hiwt@welding.org
  • Or call (937) 332-9500 to discuss further options.

What form of payment is accepted?

  • Hobart Institute accepts personal or corporate checks, MasterCard, VISA, American Express, Discover and company purchase orders.
  • Payment is due no later than the first day of class.

Who may I contact to obtain answers to my technical questions?

  • Send an e-mail to hiwt@welding.org
  • Or call the Hobart Institute at (937) 332-9500 ext. 9603.

How do I register for a technical course?